Wednesday 21 July 2010

Day 109

Day 109. Sat 17th July
Orvieto.

Today’s destination is the medieval hill town of Orvieto and its famed Duomo. The car park has a very civilised run of escalators, through blissfully cool, solid rock, up to the town, we love it already.
The façade of the Duomo is a sparkling dizzying riot of decorative insanity. It shouldn’t work but somehow it’s a delight. The spectacular monochrome marble interior is somewhat restrained till you get to the Last Judgment fresco cycle in a side chapel(no pictures). Energetic, gory and gloriously lurid with more bare buttocks than ought to be allowed in a house of god.
Lunch was a disappointment; I had to send my chicken back, it was so dry. The disappointment was ameliorated by my sense of achievement at complaining in Italiano and getting it taken off the bill. Even Andy was impressed.

Classic Umbrian hill town.
The Facade.
Spiraling out of control.
This is my Dry Chicken face.

5 comments:

  1. One more try at a comment cos that face looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    It worked. I don't know why! But hello happy eating face!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Orvieto a wine and sorry, philistine again, never heard of that famed Duomo!!!

    Having discovered that I can get back into the world of blog I have back tracked a few days and contributed my wit to this tome! I have to say you have missed me! How can I have gone so long without comment? Well - don't ask me, ask Google! The blockage has miraculously cleared!!!

    So bring on more. Ready to contribute to the next installment - bring it on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and one more thing - just looked at the very first entry and I bet the inside of the wang doesn't look like that any more!!!!

    Ok - signing off now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh thats a good point Hils - can you post a blog of the inside of the wang so we can see a before and after photo!?

    Fi
    xx

    ReplyDelete