Saturday 10 July 2010

Day 96

Day 96. Sun 4th July
Vatican.

I wanted to save the Vatican visit for a Sunday and my dearly departed mams birthday seemed an auspicious day.
When I first came to Rome 30 years ago early Sunday mass was spectacular, with a cast of thousands and very moving.
St Peters Square at 7am is deserted. Luckily we have a good wander while the queues start to build in the square. Sadly only a handful of people at mass (less than 100). Though the scale of the place is impressive and the interior, dauntingly magnificent, the atmmosphere is cold and impersonal,to me it seems little more than a cherry on a turd.
I was a good catholic schoolboy of the 60s and an altar boy when the church was in a period of great progression.
I feel the last two Popes have set the church back 100 years. Ultra right wing, reactionary, conservative and highly politicised. Their stance on birth control and homosexuality is the cause of global misery for millions. Without the glorious creations of homosexual artist over the centuries the Church would be a much poorer thing indeed. oops, sorry about that, off my soapbox.
Walked in the shimmering heat to the Castell St Angelo, like sightseeing in a traditional wood fired Pizza oven. Across the bridge of the same name to Piazza Navona. Full of cod art and great fountains.

Lunch in the highly commended Gusto, (great food shame about the service, I can forgive poor service but not when I have to pay a 15% service charge for the privilege)
The interior from the dome.
Andy and other cherubs
St Marks Square from the cuppola(quite a climb)
Ponte St Angelo


1 comment: