Wednesday 5 May 2010

Day 33

Day 33. Sunday 2nd May.

Sullen and resentful we fled to Verona for the day.
The Giardino Giusti is a verdant haven in the middle of the city.

Created at the end on the 15th century it’s a masterpiece. Towering Cypress avenues, box knot gardens, fountains, statures, bowers and the oldest maize in Europe. What a joy. The weather is overcast which intensifies the feeling of being saturated in green.
Winding up the hill, we climb a spiral stone staircase to the belvedere. Emerging at 10.30 am as the bells of Verona, laid out below us, rang out. The stand of flowering Circis ( Judas Trees) showered us with cerise petals, what a moment.

Lunch at a typical Verona trattoria (recommended by the gardiner) was the best we’ve had since arriving in Italy.
The house speciality is horse, which we didn’t try.
Walked through Verona as the storm clouds gathered. Took a turn around the Roman Amphitheatre. Home of the famous Verona opera festival, Alicia Keys (I have no idea) was appearing that night. Took a quick peek at the famous Juliet balcony (so bogus) and dashed back to car as the heavens opened.
Even it Italy it rains at the Bank Holidays.

Equilibrium full restored

3 comments:

  1. f**** f****** I've just spent 15 minutes composing my long winded comments about Verona and I've pressed a f*** wrong key and the whole lots gone!!! It was of course the most witty and funny and best posting yet - b*****. Oh well. Much love to U3 and please get a photo of all 3 of you together before your trip ends!! :) night night Fi xx p.s. aeren't you glad you're missing the general election!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'Two Gentlemen of Verona' - ha ha.

    Glad to know that you resisted the temptation to try horse! Now I am not squeamish, but as a horse lover, that is only one away from 'Dog' - and don't get me started!

    I love the garden - I think the green and the texture is what makes it different.

    Noticing that my Molly is missing from the latest blog entries. Thinking to myself, should I be planning a rescue mission! Off to check Verona on the map and to plan a sneak grab and snatch raid on Sir Limpsalot (who could not chase me if he wanted to) and his noble squire, Squire Citisforme, lover of all fine living and italian banqueting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what happened there, but the 1st May entry popped up after this one, hence my reference to Molly is a tad irrelevant! And I also now get why you were sullen and resentful! (there was me just thinking you were turning into a pair of Englishmen Abroad - always looking for something to complain about! Of course, from where I am sitting - MK; it is grey outside; the last of my 'at risk people' know they are potentially out of a job; son is broke; and dogless!! - even the massed hoards descending on Lake Garda sounds good to me!!!!

    But I am counting down to days to my Granada visit (volcanos permitting) at the end of the month!

    Lots of hugs to one and all.

    Hilary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete