Tuesday 18 May 2010

Day 46

Day 46. Saturday 15th May. A day in the garden.

The largest garden in the region by miles is the Palazzo Reale in Caserta just 30/40 k drive from Naples.
The gigantic palace (makes Buckingham palace look like a Kennel) was built-in 1752 for Charles111 and the garden is on a scale to match. Colossal, enormous, hugh and utterly fabulous.A three km long promenade punctuated by formal ponds each with cavorting groups of classical statues, cascades, waterfalls, fountains and spouting dolphins. At the end of the two-mile walk is an 80 m high cascade falling into a basin with more mythological statues.
Impressive or what. A bit of a stormy old day so most visitors stuck to palace and the gardens were rather tranquil. Fortunately there are little electric busses to bring you back.
Wondering how to replicate this at home I got to miss my own little patch of green.
Has the lilacs flowered yet? Are the Wisterias putting on much of a display? For the first time I feel homesick.
So much of the enjoyment of gardening is seeing how plants develop from year to year, like old friends who visit annually and are gone for another 12 months. I miss it.





This one is the goddess Hilary with her pack?





1 comment:

  1. I knew I was missing something! Of course - a garden! There hasn't been a piccie of a garden for a while!

    Rob, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but you will struggle to fit this lot into your little patch. Not unless you can unravel the mysteries of time travel and convert your estate into a form of botanical tardis - much bigger on the inside!

    I haven't been down to check out Mellors handiwork. I will ask him to take a photo for you or pop down myself. My meagre patch (two pots outside the back door here in MK) are in fine fettle.

    Hilary

    ps I demand a replica of 'St Hilary and Her Pack' be installed next to your decking! I am quite happy for a minor reduction (Just Molly and Gazaa will do!)

    Hxxxx

    ReplyDelete