Wednesday 26 May 2010

Day 54

Day 54. Sunday 23rd May.
Ben Hur

Galvanised by yesterday’s sloth we pack up a set off for Palermo. The breaking camp and setting up shop in a new town routine is taking on a rhythm of its own and doesn’t seem such a chore anymore. 2½-hour drive to Isola d. femmine, set by the sea (behind the cement works) 10k to the west of Palermo.
The drive around Palermo was a hoot and a half. Take my previous comments about Italian drivers (day 38) and multiply them by 10. Remember the race scene from Ben Hur, now, add car horns, turn up the volume and replay on fast forward.
La Playa is a gorgeous little campsite, deeply shaded by olive trees and a lovely warm welcome from the sisters that run it. Followed by a multilingual briefing about the busses and perils of a day in town for the following day.
Gird your loins Palermo here we come.

4 comments:

  1. hi boys glad 2 see u both look realy well and still having a nice time love u xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rob and andy how you doing glad to see you having a nice time. love dick and denise x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where are you now, you intrepid travellers! Are you still on Sicily or have you moved back onto the mainland?

    Still sipping my Italian rose wine (well, glugging if truth be told!) - having sent you a text a bit earlier.

    I was a bit naughty and borrowed your Sarah Raven catalogue. Ellen and I ordered some plants and I planted mine up into pots here in MK this evening (in my apology for a garden - lovely space and a correspondingly lovely crop of dandelions to show for it!) I was admiring my handywork and of course thougt of my dear friends and their gal - hence the toast!

    I am stranded here in MK (well - sort of) because the car is still in the garage! This has been the MOT from hell! I was promised it back today (Saturday), but still it is not finished so I have a borrowed car now! May be it is time to trade it in! I hope yours is behaving!

    Where are you headed next. I have post to forward and where should I be looking for cheap flights?

    Lots of love to you all.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Guys and Molly,
    Miss you lots. We start to move out tomorrow 19 June 2010. The new owners came round last night. I hope you approve. Andy, It's your birthday very soon but I don't know where to send a card. We will be without phone and internet for a few days.Have phoned Hilary for help and advice. Rob. Our 'Yellow Wave' have sprouted 'enormous' buds which are not in flower yet. I am going to miss that which makes me so very sad.:( Love yo guys to bits and Molly. You look as though you are having a most wonderful time. Have opened the windows to the family room to listen to the 'bells' for the last time........ Will you sponser me for my charity cycle ride? I did 28 miles today which was ok.
    Love you both very much. Princess came home last night and misses you loads. His bedroom in the rented new house has pink curtains and an ensuite. Lucky boy.

    Take care, be safe but more importantly enjoy what you are doing. Love to you both and Molly big cuddles. Ann and Wayne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete